Answer to 163 - Page 244, November/December 2012 ‘Journal’, Negative is 19421 and not 19333 as previously stated.
This photograph is thought to show the site for the Allerton maintenance depot. As indicated by the British transport Commission notice seen in the centre of the picture above the first and second coach of the train. No response has been received; however, reference to the Railway Clearing House Railway Junction diagrams indicates that this assumption is correct. It is considered that the photographer was located to the south of the former Cheshire Line Committee (CLC) line from Cressington to Manchester at the point where it crossed the former London & North Western line from Liverpool to Warrington or Garston. A passenger train hauled by a tank locomotive can be seen traversing this route. Above this train, on an embankment, is the connecting line between the North Western and CLC lines. Above this can be seen carriage sidings. To left of the photograph Allerton station can be seen in the distance beyond the permanent way gang engaged in track renewal. In the lower left corner is the connecting curve from the North Western line to Garston.
Any additional information that members may be able to provide will be gratefully received.
The photograph was taken in 1952 and is included in the Society’s List No. 46 - British Railways steam, diesel and electric locomotives, moving trains and stations including Liverpool Overhead Railway, Isle of Man and some Welsh narrow gauge lines taken by Frank and Ralph Hewitt during the 1950s and 1960s.
Members who can provide further details of the above picture should write to K. Greenwood, Bradstones, Charlton Road, Holcombe, Somerset, BA3 5ER.