No 197 - Negative Number 26894
Links - Back to latest What where when? page | Index of previously resolved What where when? queries.
This photograph by W. A. Camwell shows 4MT 2-6-4T 42353 with a 3-coach train. It is suggested that the location is Lamport station, between Market Harborough and Northampton looking north from the signal cabin. Part of the level crossing is just visible in front of the locomotive.
42353 was one of a class of locomotives introduced by Sir Henry Fowler. They were built in batches between 1927 and 1934 and totalled 125 locomotives. 42353 was a Stockport loco in the late 1950’s and in 1960 was allocated to Northampton (2E) before withdrawal from Bangor in June 1964.
The station was opened by the London and North Western Railway on 16 February 1859 and closed by the British Transport Commission on 4 January 1960, thus the date of the photograph is probably 1959-1960 shortly before the line was closed. The station building and some railway workers cottages still exist.
Information received from Harry Jack, David Morgan and R. Wood is acknowledged with thanks.
Readers who can provide any further details about this picture should write to K. Greenwood, Bradstones, Charlton Road, Holcombe, Bath, Somerset, BA3 5ER or email The Photograph Collection Custodian
How to join
SLS Library (Membership service)
SLS Resources (Free service)
The Society's YouTube channel
About us / Contacts
Links to other sites
Links to other railway sites (Off-site link)